Contact Me By Clicking "view my complete profile"

Contact Me By Clicking "view my complete profile"

Saturday, June 25, 2011

End of June Preps

Well, basically I'm leaving the country to see my Grandmother in about 6 days. I will be gone for 2 weeks. There's a lot of stuff to pack and shop for and fulfill the requests of the cousins and Mom's who sit around and watch mangoes grow.

I picked up 8+ lbs of beef. Ground Round was only $1.87 a pound; 1/3 of it I cooked into 3 portions of taco meat for Mr. Man to eat while I'm gone, the other 2/3rds are for canning. I know what everyone says - he's a big boy he can cook for himself - sure he can - or he can just live on kettle chips and beer. At least it's there. At least I give a shit.

I also checked the freezer for anything that wasn't likely to be cooked by Afro since it involved prep/defrost time and I found a package of chicken breasts and another package of about 6 pork chops. I canned part of the chicken into chicken soup with potato and the pork i cubed and made into Filipino Style Adobo. 4 pints each.


I must say this chicken soup looks pretty tasty and I like all the colours and what not.












The adobo looks a bit boring but believe me the taste is not.











While the meat and chicken soup was in the canner I went ahead and processed mango lime jam, grape jelly and strawberry jam










11pm came and I still wasn't sleepy so I threw one more batch in the pressure canner - 6 pints of ground beef and 2 pints of chicken broth so there wouldn't be any "dead" space in the canner









One nights work:

20 pints assorted
2 half pints mango lime jam
12 four oz jars of preserves.

I guess I finally got my timing down.






You might ask why did I use these 4oz baby food size quilted jars for the jams? Well because Mom1 is supposed to be watching her blood sugar and if I make these mini ones she is less likely to overindulge.

3 mango lime jam
4 strawberry jam
5 grape jelly

They sure are cute. This will probably be the only prepping I do until I come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment