Contact Me By Clicking "view my complete profile"

Contact Me By Clicking "view my complete profile"

Friday, September 9, 2011

Cilantro Lime Rice & Tacos --- in 20 minutes!

I MADE A COOKING VIDEO!! hee hee.

As long as I have been cooking I have never recorded a video of myself cooking, my friend Gya was prone to taking video but she's always done that at all events.

Part 1 & Part 2 -- click here to watch
Please rate and subscribe ok?

The videos I made were pretty much live time with a few pauses for when the water was boiling. Waiting for water to simmer is like watching yourself lose weight...it ain't happening. I even did the food preps live so people have a real time understanding of what it takes. Always start the rice first and get that past boil and then start the tacos - Start to finish it shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes to get dinner on the table.

cilantro lime rice ingredients

1/2 bunch cilantro (reserve 1/3)
1/2 white onion
3 cups rice
1 tbsp garlic or 4 cloves minced
1 tsp red chili flake
2 tsp basil
1 bouillon (1c water) or 2 pints chicken broth
4 tbsp cooking oil
6 cups water
1 shotglass lime juice (3 if you like it tart)
2 tbsp salt

Rice is so flexible you can eat it in all ways including dessert. This is just one more way to make rice --- my cooking errs on the side of less salt, feel free to add more. If you like it spicy throw in a jalapeno into the saute, if you want it more fragrant use jasmine with a pinch of saffron flowers, if you want it dirty add chicken or beef to it while it simmers. My one brother likes it with a LOT of cilantro so when he's over I use 1 1/2 bunches of cilantro. It's very flexible, just adjust it to how your house likes it.

Tacos are a twice a week staple in this house. I pretty much make these on the fly and no two times are ever the same because I rarely measure - especially if I cook it 5lbs at a time. So if I email you a recipe it may vary from this one but it's all the same range. With dryer meats I add a small can of tomato sauce, if I use the home canned meats I do not add tomato sauce because there is additional liquid in the jars.

taco meat ingredients

2 tbsp garlic or 7 cloves minced
1/2 white onion
3 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
4 shakes cumin
1 tbsp chacheres
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 pint canned ground beef OR
1.5 lbs raw ground beef
4 tbsp new Mexico chili powder

tortillas
shredded cheese
lettuce, cilantro, tomato sliced
salsa

---

Almost all of this can be made from preps as long as you have masa harina mix (or make your own) if you have the canned meat, dehydrated onion, garlic and herbs but instead of lettuce you could use rehydrated cabbage in a loose chop with a bit of lime juice!

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. That look bomb! When you cook five pounds of beef I hope it's because ya'll have guests over...surely you and AP don't eat all that!!

    ReplyDelete